Marathon on the Mountain - November 5, 2016
A unique marathon event in the beautiful Laurel Highlands of southwestern Pennsylvania.
Marathon on the Mountain will both challenge and inspire you while you run through the beautiful mountain terrain at Seven Springs Mountain Resort.
Choose the marathon, half marathon or 5k to get the distance that is right for you. The races will take you past multiple ponds, along charming country lanes and through some of the most scenic woods in Pennsylvania. The courses utilize both ski trails and wooded hiking and biking paths that will take you deep into the forest. Minimal hard surfaces and very few road crossings are on the course, and multiple aid stations with water, Gatorade, and fruit will be featured.
The marathon will make two laps of the picturesque course that starts and ends in front of the Foggy Goggle at Seven Springs Mountain Resort.
Prizes will be awarded to the top three finishers, male and female in each race. All racers will receive a tech shirt as well as a finisher medal upon completion.
- $80.00 - 6/21/2016 through 8/14/2016
- $90.00 - 8/15/2016 through 11/3/2016
- $60.00 - 6/21/2016 through 8/14/2016
- $70.00 - 8/15/2016 through 11/3/2016
- $30.00 - Now through 8/14/2016
- $40.00 - 8/15/2016 through 11/3/2016
About the Run
- You have to be at least 15 years of age to participate. Parent/Guardian must be present to sign release waiver.
- Event Registration closes Thursday, November 3, 2016 at 11:59 p.m. We suggest early registration. There will be NO on-site event registration the day of the event
- The courses utilize both ski trails and wood hiking and biking paths that will take you deep into the forest
- The race contains minimal hard surfaces and has very few road crossings
- The marathon will make two laps of the picturesque course that starts and ends in front of the Foggy Goggle
Race Day Info
- Check In - 6 a.m. to 8 a.m. race day in the Ticket Office (located in the Skier Service Center)
- There will be NO on-site event registration the day of the event!
- Bag Check - 7 a.m. to 4 p.m. in Tiny Tots (located near the Ticket Office)
- All Full and Half Marathon racers will start at 8 a.m.
- All 5K racers will start shortly after the Marathon racers.
*NEW* Team Challenge
Put together a team for any of the Marathon on the Mountain races and each member of the team will increase the chances of winning great prizes for every member of the team. The more team members, the greater your chances of winning one of three great prizes when the snow falls. Racers in the Marathon, Half Marathon and 5K events are all eligible.
Running in November can help you enjoy the 2016-17 ski season at Seven Springs Mountain Resort. Each team member's name will be entered into a drawing to win the following for everyone on their team.
- FIRST PRIZE - A pair of lift tickets for any day of the 2016-17 ski season at Seven Springs Mountain Resort for each member on your team.
- SECOND PRIZE - A lift ticket for any day of the 2016-17 ski season at Seven Springs Mountain Resort for each member on your team.
- THIRD PRIZE - A ticket to the tubing park at Seven Springs Mountain Resort during the 2016-17 season for each member on your team
Marathon on the Mountain Childcare
Childcare is available to race participants beginning from 7:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. Reservations are required and must be made at least 24-hours before the event by calling 800-452-2223, ext. 7997. Snacks and drinks are provided.
- - Full Day | $65 per child
- - Half-Day | $50 per child
- - Hourly | $20 per child
The Marathon on the Mountain Lodging Package will allow you to get your rest and fuel up before you take on the full or half marathon or 5K course! Starting at $77.50 per person, based on double occupancy this package is available Friday, November 4, 2016 and includes:
- - One Night of Lodging
- - Friday Night Carb-Filling Buffet
Reservations can be made by calling 866-437-1300. Please note that reservations do not include event registration.
Marathon on the Mountain Carb-Filling Buffet
Load up on Friday, November 4 from 6-9 p.m. with our Marathon on the Mountain Carb-Filling Buffet in the Alpine Room. The buffet is $16.95 per adult $10.95 per child ages 12 and under and includes the following selections.
- - Seven Springs Salad Bar - Mixed Greens and Assorted Dressings, Seasonal Fruit
- - Fresh Baked Breads and Spreads
- - Sicilian Style Pizzas - Traditional Cheese, Pepperoni, Roasted Vegetable Pizzas
- - Pasta Stations - Baked Ziti, Penne Primavera, Rigatoni Bolognese, Tortellini Alfredo with Grilled Chicken
- - Assorted Desserts - Fruit Pies, Cookies, Cakes and More
Marathon on the Mountain course description by the mile
- 1. The race starts in front of the Foggy Goggle. Marathoners will see the popular watering hole at the halfway mark; half marathons will enjoy the view from the deck upon completion of their event. From there, runners will cross in front of the resort for .3 miles before beginning a gentle .7 mile climb up the tree-lined Village Trail. - Composition: blacktop - dirt/loose gravel
- 2. Runners will continue up Village Trail, reaching the top of the climb at about the 1.5 mark. You will then run along the lip of the mountain with soaring views of the Laurel Highlands. The course swings around, crossing between two ponds as it enters wooded area lined with ancient rocks. Composition: grass - loose gravel
- 3. Entering the third mile you will find yourself running along a split rail fence among a grove of evergreen before crossing a road and entering the woods. For the next four miles, you will enjoy a fairly flat run. Mile three takes you deep into the woods while you run along the spine of the mountain. You run past Lake Chestnut, one of the prettiest on the property. Composition: double track trail
- 4. The fourth mile will have you heading north through the woods where you join a long trail that heads west along a pond a wooded area. Composition: double track / wide trail
- 5. The fifth mile takes you towards the former Seven Springs airport and a run down, you guessed it, the runway. Enjoy the view from this high point while you run past a large pond to the north. To the south, you will be able to see for miles. The five-mile mark is located around the mid-point of the runaway. Composition: Grass, blacktop
- 6. Mile six finds you looping around the pond as you head deep into the woods. Composition: loose gravel
- 7. After finishing mile six, you will head north again and begin your descent that will last several miles at around the midpoint. Enjoy your chance to recharge as you hike your way down the north side of the mountain. Composition: loose gravel / single track
- 8. The eighth mile is all downhill. Enjoy! Composite: Double track
- 9. After you pass the eight mile mark, you have about a half a mile of downhill left before you start a grade that will get steeper as you go. Composite: Double track
- 10. The 10th mile is a constant climb. Save a little for it or you will feel like it goes on forever. Composition: grass / loose gravel
- 11. The 11th mile flattens out around the midpoint of the mile. Once you hit the summit, it's all downhill. Composition: grass / loose gravel
- 12. Prepare to fly as you hike your way down the mountain on your way back to the Foggy Goggle area and the Start/Finish line. Composition: grass / loose gravel
- 13. You're almost there! Just a little ways to go and it is downhill. Composition: grass / loose gravel